Saturday, March 29, 2008

Mondo Enduro


This Afternoon: Mostly sunny, with a high near 39. North wind around 18 mph, with gusts as high as 29 mph.

That's pretty typical. Yesterday, or the day before, I can't really recall, it was snowing, hailing and raining. The interesting thing was it was doing it all at the same time. Yeah, it's pretty freaky. It's new England, it's frustrating. I can ride in 39 degree weather. It's not fun really, 'cept sometimes it is. But tires are cold and that's the high, and it's near 39.

In reading over my writing I find it has a lot of wistful quality to it. I'm afraid that it's really true, I am feeling sort of that way. Back in December when a the lion's share of winter dimness was rolled out before me I kept saying to myself, "three months to March". I was thinking by March I can ride half the time.

I'm making up for it by puttering around with my beehive stuff. The bees know spring is coming too. They're making plans for it. The queen is laying again. The workers are starting to squirrel away pollen substitute. After a winter of reading motorcycle stuff I have to switch my focus or go crazy.

To that end, and because I am a librarian I would like to note that Mondo Enuro has to be the funniest book about motorcycling ever. Seven English guys set off on DR350's to ride a 44,000 mile route around the world.

I've long been a fan of British travelogues and I have to say this is non parell. There is something in the English attitude to adversity that just isn't found anyplace else. Things that would be a huge deal if Americans we're writing the book are footnotes.

If you've seen Long Way Round this is the exact opposite, though Long Way Round is great too. It's as hodge podge as it gets. It's a beautiful example of what's possible with some desire and a single cylinder motorcycle. We often get caught up in optimizing things, these guys just go. It's hilarious. If I were King I would give them all medals.

No comments: