Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Riding, finally

In the end I just got sick of not riding. I'd seen the forecast and it was wintery mix, or mixed precip, or sub freezing temps. I had a one day window to ride. I was antsy and over worked.

I rode to work on Tuesday, I wound up meeting with the Friends of the Library and actually leaving work at 9:30 PM. The forcast changed throughout the day and I actually wound up leaving the library in a light snow, on my motorcycle, in the dark. Well, I can say that I made an impression.

I also wound up talking to the History Commission suited up and holding my helmet about grant opportunities for public records. So, you know, I'd gone through all this angst about presenting such a nice face on riding and all and wound up just getting tired of caging it to work every day.

Nobody batted an eye.

Riding home it was somewhere in the 30s. I was wearing a Mario wool t-shirt, a cashmere sweater, the electric vest and a wool sweater under the stich. I was fine temp wise but cornered gingerly. The eclectic grips were nice. But honestly, I could have ridden another 10 miles, though my legs did get cold.

The light snow swirling in the single beam headlight was kind of awesome.

One of the people leaving the library asked what kind of bike I had. I replied and he sort of looked unknowing. He asked me not to gun it by his house as his baby was sleeping, I assured him it was not that kind of bike. I coasted out of the parking lot with the key on but the engine off, kicked it over in 3rd gear and disappeared into the snow, silently.

Lessons learned:

People are not as judgmental as I might have thought. I need to give people more credit.

I was just happier that day. There is no rational quantitative reason for this. I was happy to be in control of something, to feel the wind rush 'round me. I was a better librarian that day.

I can't wait to ride to work again.

1 comment:

irondad said...

Welcome to the blog neighborhood! Always good to get a fresh look at riding to work from someone else's eyes. Not to mention one who might actually have intellect. Chest beating Road Warriors like me need a little culture to keep us from being too barbaric.